CheapAndChicNYC

Hi! We're Cheap And Chic NYC, your source for fun and frugal things to experience around New York City. We cover travel, shopping, restaurants, nightlife, outdoor fun, music, theatre, performing arts and everything in between. Browse for tips, check out our links, or share your own suggestions with us! Entertainment Blog Top Sites

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Theater Thursday - Sort of

Yes, once again I was bitten by the "let's play tourist" bug so I headed down the Life Cafe.
movin out theater
Yes, THE Life Cafe featured in the Broadway musical and recent movie RENT. This is the infamous spot where Jonathan Larson sat in a corner and worked away.
movin out theater
It is a bit of a hike from the subway but it is amazing to see the clashing cultures as you walk by - but isn't that one of the things that we love about New York?! movin out theater
Skater kids, chalk graffiti, expensive bistros, a real legitimate Turkish bath house, housing projects, community gardens.
movin out theater
There on the corner by Tompkins Square Park (which looks soo nice now if you can remember the days of the riots) is the Life Cafe. The staff was very friendly but brought me my dinner without a fork. I'll forgive them though because my dinner was about $10 and that includes my hot soy almond beverage, small salad and grilled chicken with a smoky chipolte sauce.
movin out theater
There are some small tables on the street for people watching (I wonder if Jonathan Larson did that to create the characters in RENT), seating inside is comfy but I really wished that I had sat in the back in the garden. The garden seating is hidden so you can get some privacy and quiet. There is a canopy of greens and best of all -- it is heated!! They sell hats, mugs, etc. to commemorate your visit but they also have free postcards. After all this is CheapAndChicNYC that you came to!
movin out theater
www.lifecafenyc.com
Sun - Thu 10am-1am
Fri & Sat 10am-2am
MC, V, DC, Discover
10th St & Ave B
movin out theater
So what was your favorite part of RENT? Do you prefer the Broadway or movie version?
movin out theater

5 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the La Vie boheme part...or take me or leave me. The soundtrack rocks and the show is smokin'.

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turkish bath! Where?

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your ideas!

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great web site!

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful ideas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home